“Blowing Chunks Of Theory” CD album thing
Mostly? entirely? instrumental? Fun musical and sonic puns about music, like “Diamonds & Pears.” “One Mile High” is slow and spacey, like a Prince song played at 20 BPM? This album is not like symphonic dubstep dirge digeridoo glitch-witch or anything out of left field, Russ is giving ya/me what ya/I want, which is great songs, great production, great performances, great fuckin’ guitar tone that makes me wanna pick up a guitar myself, and drumming that sounds like a live drummer, except better. It ain’t fuckin’ rocket science. “Vitreous Humour” is another favorite, it’s like rocked-out MIDI files of a Marilion song or something. Hah. “Eat The Sun” contains some symphonic elements, don’t get me wrong, some cool phrasing, fiddly bits, cool shit to go around. Also, “A Tin Teardrop” which is bulbous, also tapered? No, but it does sound like a fitting tribute to Dr. Beefheart & His Electric Teeth. “Insomnia,” god DAMN those drums are cool! “Try Eating That (In Stereo)” and “Leaping Stink Snow” are an humorous pair of homages maybe to the “Zoot Allures” era, and to Frank’s Synclavier years respectively. Or I could be totally wrong, fuck if I know. “Stale Trident” brings the proceedings to a close, in grand, lighters in the air, fog machine, laser finale fashion. Get it now, stop reading this. Shut up.
Ian C Stewart
AUTOreverse PODCAST NUMBER 8
August 20, 2011
0. Ian C Stewart – “AUTOreverse Theme”
1. Auzel – “She Turned Into The Dog” from OLD
2. Knitting By Twilight – “Biddeford Pool” from WEATHERING
3. Devilcake – “Salad Bar Man” from EATING THE GOSPEL
4. Jon 7 – “Sunset” from LIGHT AREAS
5. Aric and the Episodes – “Boy Crazy” from I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ALL ALONG
6. Wendell K – “Steam (20:8 Remix)”
7. Dino DiMuro – “My Name Is Print” from OUTTAKES UNIVERSE
8. Translucent Mirror – “Flow Of Life Interrupted” from FUZZY LANDSCAPES
9. Evan Peta – “All My Lovin'” from ZEN BY DEFAULT
10. Anixas – “Zectec 117” from ZECTEC
11. Love Calvin – “Green Pea Soup” from WHAT’S LEFT, VOL. 4
12. C. Reider -“We Will Make You Whole” from OWNING EXTINCTIONS
13. Crippling Deficincey “These Tools Are Pretty Helpfull, Especially The Cry Editor (excerpt)” from I AM TERROR’S SNOOTINESS
14. Ray Carmen “Little Angel” from OLD SCHOOL OLD FOOL
15. Just John – “Huminor” from THE OLD DOUBLE MELMAN
16. Distant Trains – “Sketches” from CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUICIDE
17. Bat Lenny – “These Fragile Thoughts” from SHADOWLAND
18. Todd Skaggs – “Hemidemisemiquaver” from IN THE TEMPLE OF THE BUTCHERED COW
19. Next Big Thing – “Mary Anne With the Shaky Hand” from NBT-4-CNP
20. Russ Stedman – “Heavy Ketchup” from WHY KILL YOURSELF? (1987)
21. Ian C Stewart – “Trail Mix” from ALPHABETICAL FOOD ODYSSEY
Love Calvin – “What’s Left, Volume Four,” now available for free download. These songs were done in 1989, around the same time as the album “Portrait Of Flesh.”
GET IT HERE.
AUTOreverse #14, Summer 2011
DINO DiMURO INTERVIEW
Questions by Russ Stedman
Do you remember the first record you bought?
Very hard to say. For singles, it could have been PINBALL WIZARD by the Who, or CRIMSON AND CLOVER by Tommy James and the Shondells. Albums, it was probably GOD BLESS TINY TIM or the soundtrack to BONNIE AND CLYDE. And I’d still buy those records. Maybe not HAIR, though.
What bands from childhood have you NOT outgrown?
Probably the Beatles, Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa. Jimi Hendrix, the Who, and Black Sabbath are still great but I played them way too much. Jethro Tull and Deep Purple, I feel kind of silly now that I was SO into them.
Join Russ Stedman at bandcamp for the rest of the summer. Admission is only five dollars, and it includes this hot new compilation of Stedmusik.
Third volume of miscellaneous Love Calvin songs. Grab for free. These unique and truly visionary home recordings, lovingly preserved and displayed by Russ Stedman.
Stop reading this, go get it NOW or I won’t be your friend anymore, if I ever was.
LOVE,CALVIN – “WHAT’S LEFT? – VOLUME THREE”
01 Superman’s True Story
02 It’s A Big World
03 Blue Egg
04 Leave Me Alone
05 Burn Victims Suck (Acoustic Version)
07 Blue Lights & Jesus
08 He Served Us Some Fires
09 I’m An American
12 Cheesemeister (Alternate Version)
13 Feel All The Dirt
Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin Love Calvin
TRICKY QUESTION FIRST: CAN YOU TELL ME SOMETHING ABOUT THIS ALBUM THAT NO ONE ELSE KNOWS?
The sound, feel, instrumentation, vocals, and pretty much everything about the song “When Will The Drugs Take Effect?” is a homage to one of my favorite albums of all time; THE FLAMING LIPS’ “The Soft Bulletin”.